My Best Bud

My Best Bud

Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Karate

When I turned fifteen, I began taking lessons in a martial art style called Funakoshi. It is named after Gichin Funakoshi, 'The father of modern karate' who founded the more well known style, Shotokan. The Shihon (Grandmaster) of my style, Edwin Ward was a caucasian man who trained with Gichin Funakoshi's students in Japan during the 50's. Due to racial tensions Shihon Ward was prevented from advancing to higher black belt ranks and was not allowed to learn higher levels of training. Frustrated with not only these factors, but also with some of the weaknesses of Shotokan, he and others with the same frustrations left to South Africa where Shihon Ward developed a stronger style of Shotokan, dubbed Funakoshi-Ryu. One of his students, Hayden Hulley moved from South Africa to Idaho Falls, Idaho, served a LDS mission in California and following his mission returned to Idaho Falls to continue running his karate club. Sensei Hayden had a tremendous influence on me and is someone who played a significant role in bettering my life. Though I have not been actively training for many years due to schooling, Funakoshi-Ryu, and the martial arts in general, is one of my greatest passions.

2 comments:

Karla said...

I am looking for a correct address or a phone number would do for Haydn Hulley's wife Jozet Miller Richardson Hulley. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Karla Briggs
Boise, ID

Karla said...

I am looking for a correct address or a phone number would do for Haydn Hulley's wife Jozet Miller Richardson Hulley. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Karla Briggs
Boise, ID